I f**king love burgers. Almost as much as I love animals. Thankfully... meat replacements have come such a long way in the last few years, now we can actually indulge in amazing cheat food while not harming any animals in the process. I am a Gardein girl through and through. I absolutely love Gardein products... and while attempting to force my Gardein obsession on one of my good friends - he told me that he had heard that Beyond Meat was amazing... but that you could only get it in the USA. Naturally as a bonafide foodie... I was on a mission to find me some Beyond Meat as soon as I got to the states.
I found Beyond Meat very easily...I got mine at HEB in Texas. The Beast Burgers had 23 Grams of Protein, were soy, gluten and GMO free, and looked exactly like beef. A package of 2 patties was $4.99 USD ($6.40 CAD) which was a little pricey - but I was drooling by this point so I had to pick up a package. Now that I had my patties... I decided if I was going to make me a burger... I was going to make me a BURGER. Like... this was going to be a monsterous, fatty, hunk of deliciousness. Go big or go home.
I spent about half an hour in the kitchen and made a Beast Burger with sauteed onions & mushrooms with vegan sriracha mayo. It is the BEST VEGGIE BURGER IN THE ENTIRE WORLD. Bold statement I know... but true. This recipe works with any veggie patty - storebought or home-made... but trust me on this one - you gotta check this out.
VEGAN BURGER WITH SAUTEED MUSHROOMS & ONIONS AND SRIRACHA MAYO
VEGAN SRIRACHA MAYO
- 1 cup Veganaise
- 1 TBSP Sriracha Sauce
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Sea Salt (I like Himalayan)
Combine all ingredients in a small dish using a fork and set in fridge (this will thicken it up a bit). Be sure to taste your sriracha mayo often while mixing and adjust it according to your preferred taste.
FOR THE BURGERS....
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves of minced garlic (or 2 tsp prepared from a jar)
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil, 1 TBSP for the veggies & one for the burgers
- Beyond Meat Beast Burgers (or alternative veggie patty)
- Spinach (optional)
- Chayo Vegan Cheese (optional)
- Vegan Hamburger Buns of Choice
- Heat one tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil on medium heat, and once the oil is hot, add the sliced onion and the minced garlic. Stir often until slightly translucent in colour.
- Add mushrooms to pan of onions, stirring often.
- Heat 1 TBSP oil in second stove top pan, and once heated cook according to package instructions. Be sure NOT to overcook as veggie patties can be very dry when overcooked. Be sure to keep stirring mushrooms & onions while patties are cooking. Once mushrooms are soft, take off heat.
4. Dress bun with Sriracha Mayo (both sides for ultimate deliciousness), beast burger patty, fresh spinach (optional) and sauteed mushrooms & onions. I also added a slice of Chayo vegan "cheese", also optional, but highly recommended if your fixing to get crazy!
BEYOND MEAT REVIEW
The verdict on Beyond Meat is... yes. Definitly the best burger replacement I have bought in store so far. Plus with 23g of Protein I felt like I didnt even need to be mindful of my protein intake throughout the day. This was a big win and I really hope they bring Beyond Meat into Canada soon! Just be sure not to overcook the patties, as always, with veggie patties. Always follow package instructions to ensure your patties don't dry out.
Ever wonder what a plant-based diet for weight loss looks like? I eat all my favourite foods - but healthier - and guess what?! I show every single meal I eat, every single day on Instagram. Follow along!